Monday, February 7, 2011

"The world would be a better place if everyone had your personality...."

Monday, February 7, 2011
I'll get to the origin of that line in a bit...

For those you have been living under a rock, a pretty big winter storm hit more than half of the country last week. Including western Ohio.  Now, I thought I had hit the jackpot with this storm. In Cincinnati, where we live, it was almost all rain - score! In Dayton, where I work, it was a pretty bad ice storm, resulting in my office losing power for almost three days and me getting two free days off of work. I got the benefits of a storm (snow days!) without the bad parts (shovelling inches of ice).

Then I made it work on Thursday morning. Apparently managing your own historic site means you get to clear the sidewalks of ice and snow.... So from Thursday through Saturday I spent a total of 4-5 hours salting, chipping and shovelling ice.... so much for the best of both worlds.

So where did the title of this post come from? Well on Thursday, as I worked on the last step I was going to do that day, a black pick up truck pulled up and a gentleman began talking to me from the vehicle.

"You need any help?" (would have been nice if he had driven by an hour earlier, but I digress...)
"I'm on the last step, I'm all set. Thanks for asking though!"
"You are very pretty! Are you married?" (ugh....)
"Yes, yes I am married."
"Well your husband must know how lucky he is." (I hope that's the case)
"He does, he is very good to me."
"He should be out here helping you!"
"Oh, I work here. This is a museum.... I'm actually being paid to shovel."
"Oh! Well that ain't too bad then!"
"Nope!" (hoping to run away.... end of conversation please...)
"You have a beautiful personality! I can just tell... you are a great person!"
"Thank you...."
"No really... I can just tell how nice you are. You found God, I can tell!"
"Yes, I have..."
"You know, the world would be a better place if everybody was like you!"
"I like to think so..."
"haha, yeah... you are just such a good person... I can tell..."

This continued for a couple more minutes, I found out this gentleman had lost power at his house because of the storm and was staying with his brother in law who lived in the neighborhood. After 5 minutes of chatting I was able to sneak away.

Definitely one of my more awkward conversations, especially recently. I mean, I felt pretty good about myself afterwards (after all, he could tell just how good of a person I was just by talking to me for two minutes). But definitely  not a situation I was entirely comfortable with... haha.

Can't wait to see what happens as I continue to clear sidewalks this winter.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket